My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

Title: The Time Machine

Author: H.G. Wells

First Published: 1895

No. of Pages: 94

Synopsis (from B&N): "The Time Machine, H. G. Wells’s first novel, is a tale of Darwinian evolution taken to its extreme. Its hero, a young scientist, travels 800,000 years into the future and discovers a dying earth populated by two strange humanoid species: the brutal Morlocks and the gentle but nearly helpless Eloi."

Fiction or Nonfiction: Fiction

Comments and Critique: This is one of those books that I'm of two minds about. I don't like science fiction as a rule and it took a high level of motivation for me to read this, at least in the opening chapters. On the other hand, time travel is the one area of scifi that really intrigues me. Overall, the book is too far out of my comfort zone, but any dislike I have is based more on my preferences than the book itself.

Objectively, the book is well-written and without any major flaws. Parts did strike me as being somewhat narrow-minded (the narrator travels 800,000 years into the future and still finds matches?) and the narrator seemed a bit too caught in attributing the problems of his day to the future, but I suppose that problem could be found in any story set in the future -- there's just no way of knowing what will happen and whether the things we think are important now will remain important over hundreds or thousands of years.

Even though I'm unlikely to put this one in my reread pile, I would be more willing to do so if the reread occurred with a group, as there are lots of things that I'd love to talk about with others. So even though this one wasn't my cup of tea, the fact that it makes you think and can lead to discussions has its own value.

Challenges: 999 ("Decades"); (Another) 1% Well-Read Challenge; Classics Challenge; Decades '09; Spring Reading Thing 2009

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey Tammy! Having just read it, do you think it is appropriate for Connor? He loves science fiction, and I'm trying to get him interested in classics. Any thoughts?

Tammy said...

It's hard to say. There's nothing that I considered objectionable and it's definitely the kind of adventure that most boys like. Some parts may be beyond him at this stage and the language is a little dated. But he'd probably get the main idea, and anything he didn't understand I'm sure you could talk to him about. I'd say give it a shot.

Kim L said...

I haven't read this one, but it is one of those books I intend to get around to. An interesting science fiction read!

Amanda said...

I haven't read this one in particular but two others of Wells' and I didn't like either. In fact, I gave up on one altogether (The Sleeper Awakes). I don't think I'll be trying any more of his. Having said that though, my 8 year old son loves Wells' works. He's read this one and several others.

Michelle said...

Thanks, Tammy! I mentioned this book to Connor tonight, and he got very excited. I see a trip to the library in our future!