My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

999 Challenge book list

I'm feeling extremely ambitious right now, so I went ahead and signed up for this challenge along with all my others. There will be significant overlap between them, but it still means committing to reading a lot more books in 1 year than I usually do. "I can do it" is now my mantra.

For this one, the idea is to read 9 books in each of 9 different self-made categories, for a total of 81 books. Whew! A little overlap between categories is allowed, but no more than 9 books total, so the minimum to read is still 72. And to make it as challenging as possible, the goal is to finish by 9/9/09.

There is a website for the challenge here, but the heart of the challenge is happening at LibraryThing here. (Side note: I made the button myself, but anyone is welcome to grab it).

Okay, so what am I going to tackle? I'm keeping my options open for specific books and will post them as I read them. The categories I've chosen are:

1. 1001 Books

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller -- review

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie -- review

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carre -- review

The Cubs and Other Stories by Mario Vargas Llosa -- review

Middlemarch by George Eliot -- review

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen -- review

Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley -- review

Tender Is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald -- review

2. Man Booker and National Book Award winners and finalists

Atonement by Ian McEwan -- review

The World According to Garp by John Irving -- review

A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul -- review

Morality Play by Barry Unsworth -- review

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor - review

3. Through the Decades (overlaps with Decades '09 challenge)

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne -- review

The Fall of the House of Usher and other stories by Edgar Allen Poe -- review

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle -- review

Howards End by E. M. Forster -- review

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte -- review

The Time Machine by H. G. Wells -- review

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell -- review

Nana by Emile Zola -- review

4. Dewey's Books (overlaps with Dewey's Books challenge)

The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de St.-Exupéry -- review

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman -- review

The Uncommon Reader: A Novella by Alan Bennett -- review

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer -- review

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris -- review

Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World by Roger E. Axtell -- review

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton -- review

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer -- review

5. C.S. Lewis nonfiction

The Problem of Pain by C. S. Lewis -- review

The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis -- review

The Abolition of Man by C. S. Lewis -- review

The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis -- review

The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis

6. Biographies -- COMPLETE


7. Travel -- COMPLETE


8. Catholicism -- COMPLETE


9. Dewey Decimal (overlaps with Dewey Decimal challenge) -- COMPLETE

The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them by Roxanne Coady and Joy Johannessen -- review

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell -- review

The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester -- review

Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country by Joe Queenan -- review

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer -- review

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar...: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein -- review

Iran Awakening: A Memoir of Revolution and Hope by Shirin Ebadi -- review

The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalie Angier -- review

Outline of English Architecture by A. H. Gardner -- review

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Dang, Tammy. You are fast becoming the Queen of Challenges! Good luck...and Happy New Year to you and yours!!