My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Truth of Catholicism by George Weigel

Title: The Truth of Catholicism: Inside the Essential Teachings and Controversies of the Church Today

Author: George Weigel

First Published: 2001

No. of Pages: 180

Synopsis (from B&N): "The Catholic Church is, arguably, the most controversial institution on the planet. Whether the question is the uniqueness of Jesus Christ, the relationship of Catholicism to other religious communities, the meaning of freedom, the use and abuse of sex, the dignity of human life from conception until natural death, or the role of women, the Catholic Church has taken challenging positions that some find inexplicable, even cruel.

This book explores many of the controversies provoked by Catholicism from inside the convictions that make the Church's teaching not just possible, but necessary. It will enable the curious and the discontented to see in Catholicism affirmation and celebration of the human condition, not condemnation and mindless prohibition. Weigel presents Catholic faith and practice as a vast and liberating terrain on which to live a fully human life."

Fiction or Nonfiction: Nonfiction

Comments and Critique: I had mixed feelings about this book while reading. The first 3-4 chapters are somewhat flat and dull, but then the author hit his stride and the remaining chapters became more engaging, although not consistently so. I don't know if the chapters were written in a certain order and kept in that order throughout; if not, that might explain the ups and downs.

Two examples of strong chapters are the chapters on human sexuality and humanity's purpose. Both of these contain straightforward and convincing presentations of the Church's teachings. On the other hand, for me at least, the chapters on living a moral life and why Catholicism is not a denomination and should not be viewed through the liberal/conservative lens are quite weak. Neither contain any exceptional insights and, by the time I finished each, I couldn't really tell you what the chapter had been about in any detail.

The author remains true to the theme of God is love throughout, both in substance and style. Information is presented in a compassionate and non-aggressive manner. While some of the author's arguments use logical fallacies and are therefore weakened, it's obvious that he is intending only to educate, not attack. A reader expecting or looking for responses to controversial issues that are defensive or argumentative will be disappointed.

Challenges: 999 ("Catholicism")

0 comments: