My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Friday, July 24, 2009

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Author: J.K. Rowling

First Published: 2007

No. of Pages: 759

Synopsis (from B&N): "It all comes down to this - a final faceoff between good and evil. You plan to pull out all the stops, but every time you solve one mystery, three more evolve. Do you stay the course you started, despite your lack of progress? Do you detour and follow a new lead that may not help? Do you listen to your instincts, or your friends?

Lord Voldemort is preparing for battle and so must Harry. With Ron and Hermione at his side, he's trying to hunt down Voldemort's Horcruxes, escape danger at every turn, and find a way to defeat evil once and for all. How does it all end?"

Fiction or Nonfiction: Fiction

Comments and Critique: Wow! What an ending! I just finished the book in the last hour and I can hardly put my thoughts into words, which is made even harder since I don't want to give anything away to those who haven't read it (there's got to be someone out there besides me, right?).

Overall, the book was quite good. There were sections early on that dragged a bit and a few that were beyond depressing, but the last parts really picked up. I know I read the end much too fast, I just couldn't wait to find out what happened. The author stayed true to the characters throughout the series and made them come alive. My biggest complaint with this last installment is that it has much less of the humor found throughout the others. Since the characters age throughout the series, maybe this was done intentionally as representative of how adults often lose the humor in their lives.

Now that it's over, I almost want to start the whole series over again just to spend more time in that world. A definite classic that I can't wait to share with my nephew and niece in a few year's time. We're going to see the newest movie this weekend and I can't wait to see the last two (from what I understand, the last book is being made into two movies). If they're half as exciting as the final book, it should be awesome.

Challenges: A to Z (author "R"); Chunkster; What's in a Name? 2 ("Medical condition")

1 comments:

Amanda said...

I love this book! The only part that bothers me is that King's Cross chapter, which felt too gimicky, but I loved The Prince's Tale (which confirmed all my theories!) and Bathilda's Secret, which has got to be the creepiest chapter in the entire series. I could go on forever, but I'll stop now. :D