My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Sunday, May 17, 2009

2009 Support Your Local Library Challenge


This challenge is hosted by J. Kaye at J. Kaye's Book Blog.

The challenge is to read either 12, 24, or 50 books from your local library in 2009. You can add or subtract to your list anytime, but the number of books should not change once you choose a goal. Format and target age group do not matter.

I get a lot of books from the library, so I'm going for the whole enchilada -- 50 books. I'm not going to make a list ahead of time, but will add each title to this post after I'm done. I've already read several this year, so I'll go ahead and count those.

1. Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country by Joe Queenan -- review

2. Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer -- review

3. Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah MacDonald -- review

4. Julie and Julia by Julie Powell -- review

5. Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism by Muhammad Yunus -- review

6. The Caliph's House: A Year in Casablanca by Tahir Shah -- review

7. The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Exupèry -- review

8. The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman -- review

9. The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith -- review

10. Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar...: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein -- review

11. The Cubs and Other Stories by Mario Vargas Llosa -- review

12. The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them by Roxanne Coady and Joy Johannessen -- review

13. On Being Catholic by Thomas Howard -- review

14. The Uncommon Reader: A Novella by Alan Bennett -- review

15. When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris -- review

16. King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild -- review

17. Josephine: A Life of the Empress by Carolly Erickson -- review

18. The Catholic Woman: Difficult Choices in a Modern World by Jeanne Pieper -- review

19. Iran Awakening: A Memoir of Revolution and Hope by Shirin Ebadi -- review

20. Everyday Life in Imperial Japan by Charles J. Dunn -- review

21. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell -- review

22. Honeymoon in Purdah: An Iranian Journey by Alison Wearing -- review

23. Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World by Roger E. Axtell -- review

24. The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalie Angier -- review

25. Princesses: The Six Daughters of George III by Flora Fraser -- review

26. Daughter of China: A True Story of Love and Betrayal by Meihong Xu and Larry Engelmann -- review

27. Gift and Mystery: On the Fiftieth Anniversary of My Priestly Ordination by Pope John Paul II -- review

28. Madame de Pompadour by Nancy Mitford -- review

29. Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer -- review

30. A Bend in the River by V.S. Naipaul -- review

31. Morality Play by Barry Unsworth -- review

32. No Greater Love by Mother Theresa -- review

33. Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

34. Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown by Maureen Waller -- review

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanted to pop in to welcome you to the Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge! Looks like you are well on your way.