My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Friday, December 19, 2008

Dewey's Books Challenge book list



As a dedicated reader of The Hidden Side of a Leaf, how could I not sign up for this challenge? I know many of you feel the same.

You can join the challenge at the dedicated blog. There are two ways to join this challenge:

1. Pick one book from each of the 6 years that Dewey has archives of. You can access her archives by clicking on the archive link in the sidebar of her website. It’s a dropdown menu. For instance, you would read one book that she reviewed in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 for a total of six books.

2. The other option is to read 5 books that Dewey reviewed. These can be from any year and I’m guessing that each of us has at least 5 books on our TBR list because of Dewey!

And the rules:

1. Choose either option 1 or 2 from above.

2. Commit to read your books (either 5 or 6 depending on which option you choose) throughout 2009. The challenge will end on December 31, 2009 but we’ll go ahead and unofficially start it right away! We’ll officially start it on January 1st, 2009.

3. Check back to the dedicated blog often for reviews and prize giveaways!

Dewey reviewed so many great books that I decided not to commit to any particular books at this time, but to pick a bunch of possibilities and choose from that list as I go along. The list I picked is:

33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women’s History by Tonya Bolden

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer -- completed 5/10/09; review here

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant

The Book That Changed My Life: 71 Remarkable Writers Celebrate the Books That Matter Most to Them by Roxanne Coady and Joy Johannessen -- completed 2/13/09; review here

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Cultural Amnesia by Clive James

Drop City by T.C. Boyle

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

Everything Bad is Good for You by Steven Johnson

Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer

Gestures: The Do’s and Taboos of Body Language Around the World by Roger E. Axtell

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Adichie

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Inner Circle by T.C. Boyle

March by Geraldine Brooks

The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman -- completed 4/24/09; review here

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

The Little Prince (Le Petit Prince) by Antoine de St.-Exupéry -- completed 4/18/09; review here

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar...: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes by Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klein -- completed 5/1/09; review here

The Reincarnationist by M.J. Rose

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Uncommon Reader: A Novella by Alan Bennett -- completed 5/8/09; review here

When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris

1 comments:

Robin said...

Wonderful list, Tammy! That's a nice way to do this challenge. Thanks for joining us.