My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Monday, December 29, 2008

A to Z Challenge book list



Becky from Becky's Book Reviews is taking over as host of this challenge for 2009. As you'd expect, the goal is to read one book for every letter of the alphabet. You can read more and sign up here. She's added some options this year to make it a bit easier on us:

Option A: Read authors A to Z. Commit to reading 26 books theoretically speaking.

Option B: Read titles A to Z. Commit to reading 26 books theoretically speaking.

Option C: Read both authors A to Z and titles A to Z (52 books; this is the challenge Joy created)

Option D: Read internationally A to Z (books representing 26 different countries) (The books could be from international authors (writers from that country); however, it's fine if a book is only set in that country. If need be, instead of countries one could use cities, states, regions, etc. The idea is to use proper place names. If you'd like you could even use a few fictional countries.)

Option E: Read 26 Alphabet books. Embrace your inner child and go visit the children's section!

I'm officially going to choose Option A, but am unofficially going to be trying for Option C (just because I've lost my mind and signed up for WAY TOO MANY challenges already). No way am I going to attempt to pick out things ahead of time, though, so I'll just add them here as I read them.

Book list:

A: The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalie Angier -- review

B: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte -- review

C: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie -- review

D: Everyday Life in Imperial Japan by Charles J. Dunn -- review

E: Josephine: A Life of the Empress by Carolly Erickson -- review

F: Howards End by E. M. Forster -- review

G: Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell -- review

H: Catch-22 by Joseph Heller -- review

I: The World According to Garp by John Irving -- review

J: Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

K: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer -- review

L: The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John le Carre -- review

M: Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah MacDonald -- review

N: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger -- review

O: A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Connor - review

P: The Fall of the House of Usher and other stories by Edgar Allen Poe -- review

Q: Queenan Country: A Reluctant Anglophile's Pilgrimage to the Mother Country by Joe Queenan -- review

R: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling -- review

S: The Caliph's House: A Year in Casablanca by Tahir Shah -- review

T: Aristocrats: Caroline, Emily, Louisa and Sarah Lennox, 1750-1832 by Stella Tillyard -- review

U: Morality Play by Barry Unsworth -- review

V: Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne -- review

W: The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester -- review

X: Daughter of China: A True Story of Love and Betrayal by Meihong Xu and Larry Engelmann -- review

Y: Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism by Muhammad Yunus -- review

Z: Nana by Emile Zola -- review

0 comments: