My Challenges (timed)


See my list here
Completed 8 of 9



See my list here
Completed 2 of 3



See my list here
Completed 2 of 4



See my list here
Completed 71 of 81



See my list here
Completed 9 of 10


See my list here
Completed 34 of 50



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 2



See my list here
Completed 1 of 5



See my list here
Completed 3 of 5



See my list here
Completed 5 of 100

My Challenges (perpetual)

100 SHOTS OF SHORT
See my list of stories read here

CHECKIN’ OFF THE CHEKHOV
See my list of stories read here

THE COMPLETE BOOKER
See my list of books read here

MARTEL-HARPER CHALLENGE
See my list of books read here

MODERN LIBRARY'S 100 BEST NOVELS

See my list of books read here

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS
See my list of books read here

THE PULITZER PROJECT
See my list of books read here

TAMMY'S BEYOND BOOKS CHALLENGE

New York Times Book Review: 6/40
New Yorker: 0/36
New York Review of Books: 0/20
Vogue: 1/16
Email: 841/1373

Saturday, December 27, 2008

World Citizen Challenge book list

Eva from A Striped Armchair is hosting this challenge focused on non-fiction and the world around us. There are several ways of participating (you can read the details in Eva's post here), with the maximum commitment being to read 7 books, 1 each from the categories of politics, economics, history, culture or anthropology/sociology, worldwide issues, and memoirs/autobiographies, and 1 extra book from 1 category. My undergrad degree is in politics and history, so this is right up my alley! For the most part, I have no idea what I'll read but here's my tentative list so far:

Politics: Iran Awakening: A Memoir of Revolution and Hope by Shirin Ebadi -- completed 5/29/09; review here

Economics: Creating a World Without Poverty: Social Business and the Future of Capitalism by Muhammad Yunus -- completed 3/22/09; review here

History: King Leopold's Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror, and Heroism in Colonial Africa by Adam Hochschild -- completed 5/16/09; review here

Culture or Anthropology/Sociology: Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer -- completed 1/27/09; review here

Worldwide Issues: Gestures: The Do's and Taboos of Body Language Around the World by Roger E. Axtell -- completed 6/18/09; review here

Memoirs/Autobiographies: The Caliph's House: A Year in Casablanca by Tahir Shah -- completed 3/25/09; review here

7th book: Everyday Life in Imperial Japan by Charles J. Dunn -- completed 6/7/09; review here

2 comments:

Eva said...

Welcome to the challenge! Just wanted to let you know the World Citizen blog is up and running. :)

Pardon My French said...

Ohhh, this one is tempting but it all depends on timeline. I always mean to read more non-fiction but right now am not managing to fit in enough reading time as is.